Monday, May 11, 2009

Pitty Party

First of all, I love having a day where I can tell my mom thank you for everything that she did for me. I know that she had one or two rough Mother's Days in the past. I really hope that Mother's Days are much more pleasant for her now and can look back on her role as a mother and be happy with everything that she did. I hope that she has no regrets. Thanks Mom for being a really good mom.

Me, on the other hand, I look at Mother's Day as a time to reflect on what a crap job I did. I couldn't keep up with the housework. I couldn't do the laundry so they all had to do their own. I didn't make them breakfast, I don't think EVER. I didn't have wonderful heart to heart talks with them where they told me that they love me, at least not very often. I can't even get my kids to walk into a church without a full blown argument. I feel like a failure. It's hard to think of anything that I did do right. I worked 2 or 3 jobs and pretty much cooked dinner and went to bed.

This Mother's Day was no different. It started out a typical Sunday morning; the kids sitting around, clothes in the dryer to get the wrinkles out, making themselves breakfast. Since I play the organ, I like to get to the church by 9:40. That means we have to pull out of the driveway at 9:30, no later. At 9:20 I asked one child if he was ready and he just looked at me, while in his underwear and no shirt on (which is totally not allowed) and kept on eating very slowly.

9:30 I said I had to go and went out to the car. Craig got his stuff and came right out. We sat, and then Craig decided that he needed to check to make sure that they knew we were waiting. Here comes Craig and one child, but no sign of the second. We waited, and waited. Soon it was 9:38 and here comes the second child walking very slowly. He gets into the car and I try to explain to him why I need to be on time to church. It then blew up into a big deal that supposedly I force the boys to church and look how going to church makes us all "so happy". But the real kicker is, Craig thinks that I shouldn't be angry after comments like those.

Am I wrong to feel hurt? When I said that I would rather the boys stay home than have to fight them every Sunday, I was told that I was the one being unreasonable. Me. Hmmm.

When it was time for the Aaronic Priesthood to hand out flowers to the mothers, do you think one of my own boys would give me one? No. One made it a point to pass over me. One of the other little boys in church had to give me my flower.

After church the boys decided that they had to go to their mom's. That's fine. They should. Did either one of them wish ME a happy Mother's Day? No. They had plenty of opportunity. I feel that they were refusing to. Thanks. I gave up a real life to help raise them. Who took on the second and third jobs to feed and clothe them. Not Craig, and certainly NOT their own mother.

So, I guess that makes me wonder, what IS my role here? Is it a Mother? Or am I just an ogre with whom they share a home? If so, why do I have to make all the sacrifices and not either one of the "real" parents do? Why don't I get any of the perks of being a parent? Am I truly a nobody? I wonder what would happen if I just quit work, refuse to do all the day-to-day chores of taking care of teen aged boys and stopped feeding them?

I have to say though, my OWN kids REALLY made me feel loved and appreciated. It was a real blessing to be able to spend time with them and I am so thankful for all the very thoughtful gifts that they gave me. Each one of my own children made a special effort to make sure that they wished me a happy Mother's Day. It really reminded me of how much I miss them being around. Quite a contrast.

Next year, I'm going to rent a hotel room and invite my own children to visit me. Then I will not have to be reminded that I am not the boys' mother, not worthy of a simple "Happy Mother's Day", and not have to spend the day in complete inner turmoil.

It's not all fun at The Funny Farm.

9 comments:

  1. That sounds like a real pitty party, but I understand. They don't think they owe you anything. They don't care about the work you did to support them. That was your duty. Someday, I hope, when they are married and have a family of their own, they will realize what they had. They will have to go through hardship and providing for their families before they get smart. Maybe their own children will forget them on holidays and they will remember the old saying 'what goes around comes around'. You will get your reward. Just be patient.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got thinking about this one and came up with the conclusion maybe Craig needs to kick them all in the seat of the pants and you should forget their birthdays and Christmas. That would get their attention. Be sure to remind them why you are doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks mom. I hope I never made you feel like that, and if I did, I am truly sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe one day the boys will realize what a great influence you were on them. A lot of "Mom" things get overlooked and we feel like we have failed, but keep your head high. You have an important job to do even if it does get overlooked and beat into the ground. You are a great example.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aaahhh...you make me want to cry. Just know that I would send you a few long distance hugs if I thought that would help to make you feel better. You have been a great mother and a life-saver to those kids even though they don't know it or appreciate it. You've given them a bed to sleep in, food to eat and clothes on their backs. And, look at all the work you put into teaching them basic life skills. You've taught them how to be responsible and take care of themselves. It's not every kid that can make his own breakfast and wash his own laundry. Some day, when you least expect it, they will realize what you did for them. Your mansion in heaven is going to be one heck of a big one! With all that you have done for them, you won't find yourself in a little shack at the end of a dry weedy field. You'll get your reward someday for sure! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. And, besides, you gave them the MOST love anybody has.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are such a great example. No one could have been a better "mother" to all the kids you have. I don't think a mom's role is to be a servant. I think moms teach, show an example, love, support, help, and do a zillion other things for their kids, including "telling them how it is". If a mom can't say it to them, who will? Someday those boys will realize who their real mom is. Just because someone gives birth doesn't mean they are mothers. I know its late, but Happy Mother's Day from me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a lot to say about this post, but no time right now to say it. I will leave you with one thing today, it is a quote from a cartoon show that i watch. One of the characters meets God and God says "when you have done something right, people wont know you have done anything at all"
    I think this applies to your situation,

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry that you feel like this. Its almost over though. We didn't make life easy for either one of our stepparents either. They will grow out of this stage and one day will be able to appreciate everything you do for them.

    And Adam, that's my favorite Futurama episode.

    ReplyDelete